The palace was erected at the end of the XVII century, in 1690, for the Zenobio family who were wealthy patricians of Greek origin and had settled in Verona.
The Zenobios obtained the title of patricians in 1647 from the Venice Senate.
The palace has been constructed on the foundations of a pre-existing Gothic building of the fourteenth century belonging to the Morosinis, and later acquired by Zenobios, Pietro and Verità, and transformed into a massive and modern building for that period, demonstrating the escalating status the family had gained on the Venetian political arena.
This Palace is considered to be one of the most significant examples of Venetian late Baroque design, both architecturally and in interior decor.
In comparison to other palaces of the same period, with its sizeable courtyard open to the garden, is not typical for the Venetian architecture.
The ballroom itself is situated behind the central balcony of the main façade and extends over two floors. A small stairway in the left wing (which obtains light from the small courtyard) provides access to the “Piano-Nobile”.
Gaspari conserved half of the original portego of the Morosini building and added a serliana to distinguish it formally from the ballroom. The ballroom of the Palace has the height of two floors.
The magnificent ballroom on the main floor is the main highlight. Blending beautifully with the stucco and colourful painting of the French artist Louis Dorigny, who created a large trompe-l'oeil ceiling fresco.
Majestic and complex painting frames, mythological tales, statuary nudes adorned with garlands, rich oriental tromp-l’oeil carpets and mocking dwarfs demonstrate the opulent baroque style.
Large mirrors magnify space and enhance the enchanting atmosphere. It is said that a young Giambattista Tiepolo has been a collaborator of the Chief artist. During the thirties of the XVIII century, the family commissioned a mature Tiepolo an additional painting for the ceiling of the room overlooking the garden.
Count Salvi sold the Palace to the Mekhtarist Order in 1850. The following year, the Raphaelian School was transferred here from Ca’ Pesaro where it was founded in 1836 thanks to a generous bequest of an Armenian merchant from India.